søndag den 22. juli 2007

Friday Nov. 3, Part II - The Biggest Tambourine, The Longest Front Fork and The Happiest Smurf In Town











On my way back to Kyoto city center, I run into a religious Shinto-procession of some sort, which blocks an intersection for the better part of an hour. Two flocks circle each other a few times, each having a group of 28 men carrying a heavy shrine. At the same time they are jumping and dancing and shouting, so the large cymbals at each end of this 10 meter long construction, like a monster-sized tambourine, bang against each other. The guys take turns doing it, because it clearly is very hard work. A motorcycle dealer placed right next to the intersection explains, in detail, what the whole thing is about, this being one of the preciously few instances where I have just a little idea of what is going on before my very eyes.

A chopper shop even closer to town catches my interest too, resulting in another one-hour break. The place builds four of five different set styles of choppers, one of these being a genuine Zero rip-off, utilizing new Shovelhead style engines. But they’re nice folks, it is Nimbus showtime again, and before riding on I test-sit an insane 70’s style construction with a 2½ meters long front fork, which they claim the owner actually rides.

At Taro Café I rent a bicycle, to better explore the shopping and partying areas of Kyoto, which of course is crammed with people. It is Friday evening, there’s a national holiday, and seeing they only have one week of vacation each year (usually between Christmas and new years) the weekend get used to the max. Had I not bought this computer laptop thing, so today’s many impressions could be guided out of my skull and into the laptop, my head would have exploded. Now I can start every day with a clean slate, essential especially on days like these, where it feels like someone somewhere up there is sitting with a finger on the ‘fast forward’ button.

So I look around in the shops, take in all the faces, the clothing styles, the shop windows, the elaborate crafts (wooden combs at 8,000 yen and upwards), and a hard, by and large successful, fight against going on The Wild Tourist Shopping Spree is being fought. Only one temple today, squeezed in between the shop in one of the endless arcades.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sagde ...

Yes, thank you, I noticed!